Saturday 16 December 2006

Why can't I do the fun stuff too?


I think this whole concept of the role of a spouse in someone else's career is interesting.

If I represent my husband (and his employer) then why aren't I paid for this? How come I am doing unpaid work for a multinational company? Why don't I ever get any acknowledgement for this? How come I never get the staff discount card? Or get invited to the fun Christmas parties?

Why can't I come to the fun training weekends? Or the teambuilding sessions that are off-site?

All I ever get are functions where I have to stand around smiling while some accountant or auditor waves a cigarette in my face as he drones on about the role of the company vis-a-vis other players. Or market share. Or the latest profit ratios.

Much more fun to go to the annual ball, everyone all dressed up and glamorous in their black tie and glittering dresses.

Or the leadership development course where you get to dress up as commandos and crawl through tunnels and climb net walls. You even get to hose each other and wrestle.

Nope, I'll be the one in a corner talking with the compliance guy.

No comments: